Week 1 Internship blog

 

Hello everyone, my name is Patrick Callaghan, and this is my first blog post for the first week of this internship. This will be my second internship ever; I am continuing on from the summer semester internship with Dr. Gannon on completing the website for the Battle of Olustee. Unfortunately Dr. Gannon and our team were not able to meet this week.

So this week I wanted to talk about a couple of goals that have carried over from last internship and a few new things I would like to look deeper into. The first goal I would like to continue working on is becoming a consistent active writer. As my role from last internship was to work on the battle summary of the Battle of Olustee, I looked to create something that retold the story keeping the attention of the most “non-readers” out there. A task that seems ambitious but if I can keep working on it I think it will be possible to produce a final product that is worth reading.

The second goal is less with the project and more about the time required for this project and classes. During the summer semester it was way easier to time management without having other classes creating shadows over it. This semester will allow me to work on time management, either improving or realizing I need to rethink how I do it. It definitely helps having a system like Webcourses to help keep everything on a To Do list with dates and times allowing for better management.

Another aspect of time management separate from the classes and internship is not going insane my first year away from home in an apartment. A scheduled walk and gym time will be essential to keeping healthy both physically and mentally, especially for someone that can get lost in the routine of work, sleep and relaxing. I believe it helps two of my other three classes are online allowing flexibility throughout the week, but it will still be difficult.

For the final goal I would like to understand what future path I would like to go down after education. I have been given so many different organizations and jobs like the DOD, CIA, and others. Although I would enjoy pursuing that work it almost seems fictional to work for these. Another job I was interested in is being a teacher that travels the world to military bases or other places to teach. I enjoy traveling and the idea of teaching.

This semester seems to be filled with much to work on with limited time creating a semester that will for sure be memorable. I know Dr. Gannon is planning to get the website finished sometime soon bringing people to see the injustices done to the Union and African American Soldiers at Olustee. Such an interesting story of American history with how the Battle of Olustee could have changed the history of the American Civil War but was then blundered by the generals present at the battle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12 Internship Blog

Week 15 Internship Blog

Week 12 Internship Blog