Week 7 Internship Blog

 

Hello, Patrick Callaghan updating everyone on a rainy week seven of my internship. This week appears to be the beginning of the rain season as it has begun raining everyday once or twice. Also the emergence of the storm Elsa is alarming as it could move to the east day by day. However other than this I have been working on the previous mentioned goals in my past blog posts: learning more about animated maps, working on the summary of the Battle of Olustee and more. But today I wanted to drift a little from the everyday work to my thoughts on my own future and what it may bring. Due to the writing class Dr. Gannon has been gracious enough to hold and present, I have had many thoughts on what is the future? As someone who has come from two other colleges that were more focused on getting through the here and now I have come to the University of Central Florida a little behind in exactly what is to come in my future.

What jobs interest me? How much school is required for that type of History job? I do know the answers for these questions in a way and have been looking at options of which path to take. On one hand I love to travel and see castles, memorials and government buildings that have lasted hundreds of years and look no different. Tasting the unique food and drinks that the locals live off and enjoying the entertainment they like that differ from the ones in America. I have always thought that teaching was a sure-fire way for a historian to get a job, but my mom has told me that it is possible to be a teacher in another country at a military base or something like that allowing for me to travel and teach for a few years and then move to another place that is different.

I am also thinking of going down the road of working in the government dealing with the military in some way. I enjoy learning of wars and different eras of empires, but current day political and military climates are just as interesting. I try and keep an eye on the rising tension between China and India and other things like Covid-19. I am still trying to fine my way and look for niches that I can see myself in. Like the animated map stuff, if it works out as planned I may try and take that up as my future career and maybe something else as well. Actually depending on how this internship goes I may want to continue doing more with the American Civil War.

This internship has allowed me an insight into many roles that is required to complete projects and research to further the studies of History. I hope to learn more the longer I am here and to take this experience into choosing my career role and future internships. And once again I would like to thank Dr. Gannon for the great writing class that has taught me more than I would have ever thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12 Internship Blog

Week 15 Internship Blog

Week 12 Internship Blog