Week 11 Internship Blog

 

Hello everyone, Patrick Callaghan here for one final update on my summer internship. This week is not only important due to it being the final week but also the weekend that I move from home to the University of Central Florida for the first time. This week has been busy with working on the Battle of Olustee project, packing getting ready to move and the final PowerPoint for our group.

Although I have been busy with these things, I received a file from Dr. Gannon that consisted of the official records from the battle. These documents have completely changed my summary from the sources I was using in the beginning. The dynamic between Maj. Gen. Gillmore and Brig. Gen. Seymour and the complete and blatant disregard of orders is astonishing. Another interesting aspect of the records is how many people there at the battle had differences in their stories like when the battle began and how big the enemy force was.  Brig. Gen. Seymour actually said that the Confederates, by the time the Union forces retreated, had more forces. However, in reality they had only 5,000 to the Union’s 5,500. As I mentioned earlier I have had a pretty busy week preparing for everything.

It still has not yet set in that I will be living in Orlando tomorrow, and I am not even done packing. I do not have much new updates based on my work other than trying to fix the issues from my original summary template and trying to really show the turmoil that took place before the battle. One aspect that I have found more difficult is portraying evil in my writing. I have found it difficult to truly portray the Southerners as an entity that was doing something disgusting to run their economy, culture, and goals. I think to enhance my writing I need to read or practice writing in specific tones. Especially with the types of history that interest me the most, usually during war time or occupations that change the landscape of the world. Being able to write about topics from a moral standpoint could give me greater abilities to write.

All in all this has been a great experience that I look to continue in the future. The amount of wisdom passed down from Dr. Gannon and the practice has been fun. The only disappointment from this hole experience is not being able to see the battlefield in person (as of right now) because of COVID’s variants popping up in Florida becoming a big deal again. From this experience as well as last semester being online I am not sure about going back to in-person classes again or if it will be enforced again as Delta becomes more widespread. But with all that said I can’t wait to experience UCF and all it has to offer and complete the goals of this project in person if possible. I hope everyone has enjoyed reading my blogs and my greatest adversary Florida power and light. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12 Internship Blog

Week 15 Internship Blog

Week 12 Internship Blog