Week 10 Internship Blog

 

Hello everyone, Patrick Callaghan updating everyone on week number 10 as we come ever closer to the end of our internship. This week was filled with the usual tasks and some new ones as well. Also a returning challenge has reared its ugly face once again during this week making progress move a little slower.

One thing throughout this internship that has been the biggest struggle has been the experience of working from home. Although at first it may sound nice but when everyone is doing so in your area, as well as using air conditioning and other electrical utilities causes the power to go out multiple times a day. This week was an all-time high with three days of power lose occurring multiple times throughout those days. I think the greatest challenge this brings is staying focused and trying to not lose to many productive hours even if access to resources is not there. This has been a struggle because I can imagine no one as well as myself likes to continue working without your resources and no air conditioning. But I think this is an example of learning to deal with obstacles that pop up out of no where and moving past them even if it is at a slower pace.

With these power outages, it has given me time to really look into events happening today. In the past blog posts I mentioned writing about some of these events occurring, but the world seems to continue falling further and further into a sinking pit. Now the riots and issues continuing in South Africa and the continual issue with the new COVID variant DELTA seem to be growing every day and even possible war in Ethiopia. Although I find myself interested in what these events bring and what causes them I would rather see less than more, and I hope the people in those areas affected are protected in any way possible.

Even though there were plenty of power outages I have been working on the Battle Summary Template provided by Dr. Gannon. I have been filling it out with the proper information so it will be easier to create an interesting read. As well as this I have been drafting my final PowerPoint presentation on my experience during this internship as well. There is so much I have gained from this experience that it is difficult to restrain from making it longer than 5 min. With this I have also been offered to extend my stay in this internship from Dr. Gannon to continue working on the Battle of Olustee. Honestly this has been one of my favorite experiences of my education path. I think these opportunities has evolved my skills in writing, research and thinking to a place that it can improve even more. I look forward to continuing this work and create a great website and obtain our goal of having a memorial built on the battleground of Olustee for the fallen soldiers Black and White that fought to make today a reality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12 Internship Blog

Week 15 Internship Blog

Week 12 Internship Blog